http://www.boyundschwester.blogspot.com/ 2010-03-30 daily 0.7 boy und schwester: More vintage interiors...

Tuesday 9 March 2010

More vintage interiors...

I thought the last post I wrote on vintage interiors was fairly rubbish to be honest! I surprised anyone read it at all! So here's a better one...

I don't know about you, but it can be easy to get into the habit of thinking the past was always nostalgic and twee. For example, the imagined 1950s often look this:

When in reality, it was a decade with as much cutting edge design as now. The Royal Festival Hall was built in 1951 for the Festival of Britain (note that the shell centre hasn't even been built yet!)
The 1950s also gave us numerous awesome pieces of Ercol furniture. These tables were designed in 1956.
Funnily enough, these tables are still on sale at the Royal Festival Hall, at their shop on Festival Terrace. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of my own Ercol chairs - the spindel back kind.

This reminds me of the modern Bang and Olufsen phone shaped like this.

A really great place to get vintage interior style ideas is from vintage fashion photography. A great way to combine two passions - vintage fashion and vintage interior design! Here are a selection from My Vintage Vogue, a website with a
brilliant selection of vintage fashion photographs.





Vintage fashion photographs all from My Vintage Vogue.

Now you can lust over vintage clothes and vintage interior design!

No comments:

Post a Comment